Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Emotional Turmoil





I'm very happy that Facebook is up and about.I hope it will develop into the kind of support , Aviva had in mind, when I initially agreed to create this blog.

You have all got me thinking,about many things, particularly, on the relationship, communal, and hashkafic levels.

Shira, I have the same dilemma you have. Bh, my wife is very open and understanding, and we believe in keeping the lines of communication open, but she is always sending me mixed messages.
On the one hand we have spoken about it numerous times. We always go for manicures (clear polish, obviously lol), pedicures, and eyebrow waxings together. She loves the fact that I go shopping with her in the mall for clothing, handbags, jewelry, cosmetics, and hygiene supplies. Whenever I go to sheitl salon or make-up stores, she says, its great to have a girl-friend, most men would be bored to death and have no patience for this.Then she tells me whimsically, “just remember I’m the queen bee. You aren’t getting a fallor an outfit or nice shoes, until I get a Human Hair sheitl or a new suit. If you want to have your lil fantasies, that’s fine, but at my expense. “

Seriously though, She is always saying things like, anyone can dress up and play Purim, but I would love for you to see what a period feels like just once, never mind child-birth. You could never survive that. I was dicussing linen wraps and eyebrow-shaping, the other day, when suddenly she tells me I understand you are curious how the other half lives but don’t get carried away. I want a real man. Or she says, don’t worry you can go to the best mak-up artist in the world you will still have all the annoying male characteristics. You still think like a guy.

Over Shabbos, we had a minor tiff. She told me that I need a shower. When I replied, half-kidding, that I could use a relaxing bath with Channel splash-on, she got annoyed and said stop with the faggy-talk My wife isn’t as annoyed as I thought she would be about my shaving most of my body-hair. She just remarked in passing, “I love fuzz, someone as annoying and frustrating as you needs all the cute-appeal you have, you’re a man, just be happy with that and enjoy the benefits.. “.

So basically, this causes me intense, internal turmoil.. Do I suppress what makes me very happy, and gives me the most menuchas hanefesh, for my wife’s sake. In order for her to be calm, relaxed, and possibly happy, albeit only externally.

Or do I completely embrace my inner feelings, when we are alone in the privacy of our house. This way I am pretty sure that I can provide genuine love and affection, radiate complete inner peace.

Similarly, in regards to Avodas Hashem, I realize that there is the obvious issur of Lo Tilbush. But it is my understanding from a perfunctory reading of the Bais Yoseif, Ramah, Rambam, Smag, Chinuch, and other sources, that the main issur is to mingle with women for the purpose of Znus. So for the sake of this conversation, lets say that one is only CD-ing in the privacy of one’s bedroom.

Aside from this, should one endeavor to always suppress ones feelings and emotions in order to hear Krias HaTorah, dav with a minyan, go to a shiur, learn Torah in the best possible way, and have access to Tzibbur-related mitzvos and communal activities, even if this results in depression. We know from Chasidishe seforim, that one can only grow in Ruchnius and Avodas Hashem thru Simcha. Depression is the antithesis of this and will cause a big Yerida, instead. Or should one embrace who they are, and acknowledge their emotions and feelings, especially if it causes you be Shtark bSimcha, and have calm, peace and tranquility.

As a result of this, one obviously has significantly less Torah, quantitively, but perhaps more qualitatively. I would sincerely like to hear Esti’s feelings and experiences in this regard.

The point can be made that one doesn’t do aveiros to be happy. So on this matter, as I said earlier, could be the issur is only when it is for purposes of znus. And pursuing taivos and desire, as opposed to adjusting a total emotional state...

23 comments:

Sara with NO H said...

I'm just saying hello, hoping you're doing ok. I don't have time to read the whole post but I got to manicures and sheitles...from what I saw it's all very cute. I have to get home and read it from there, tomorrow evening. A gut voch and I hope to hear from you soon.

Shoshana said...

Hi Sara.. Im very happy to hear from you. Hope everything is ok, I was worried about you..

Sara with NO H said...

Don't worry, I'm ok. I was in LA for a few days taking care of the death in the family. I'm back now.

Open Up! said...

i think at the end of your post you're just looking for some kind of justification...i don't judge and i'm certainly not condemning you for your teivos it's just that everyone can go around and say listen eating a cheeseburger makes me truly happy and therefore i can serve hashem b'simcha...otherwise i'll be depressed...the rational doesn't work...

Shoshana said...

Open Up!...I believe I addressed that point in my post.

I will admit bias, but it seems to me that according to the majority of Rishonim and Achronim that I saw, the cheeseburger analogy only applies in a case where you crossdress publicly for the purposes of znus, as opposed to just talking to your friends and fantasizing about eating a cheeseburger, and occasionally eating a burger with fake cheese..

Shirah said...

I totally agree with Shoshana, and I am happy to see you Shany that you are not afraid to confront these people who question our behvior. Just keep up with your good work let's continue dealing with our crossdressing issues with pride.

ESTI said...

Hi Girls, for some reason known only to you you asked for my input, so I'll try to help.
The halachic, hashkafich, etc issues are something that ONLY YOU can deal with. I live as a woman 24/7, yet I daven b'ychidus every day and put on tfillin every morning. I go daven every shabbos & yom tov in the ezras noshim and light chanukah licht, and bentch esrog. Only you can do what you feel you want to do and the way you want to do it. If you feel comfortable davening in the ezras noshim and your wife is ok with it, tovo alecha bracha. If your wife is ok with your crossdressing and you are passable maybe a weekend away enfemme and going to a shul where you are not recognized would give you a new dimension to your femininity. As you know, most poskin say crossdreessing is only osur l'shem znus. Dressing and going shopping for a new outfit, sheitle, or heels is not what the torah forbids.
After reading your post a number of times, I still don't know if your wife lets you crossdress, how often and to what extent, Feel free to e-mail me @ ESTHER1009@AOL.COM and I will be more than happy to discuss any issue with you.
ENJOY YOUR FEMININITY
LOVE TO ALL ESTI

ESTI said...

HI again girls,
I truly love meeting & chatting with all of you,BUT please do me a favor..if you want me for any reason PLEASE use E-mail..it is alot easier for me than going to Facebook.

I can be reached @ ESTHER1009@AOL.COM
LOVE TO ALL
Esti

Shoshana said...

Thank you very much, Esti. I hope to write to you soon.

I appreciate the support Shira, its special ppl like you that make this blog the life-line it is..

Princess said...

I sincerely hope this is one big joke and someones imagination! I can't believe that such abomination exists in this world. If Hashem created you a male, then thats what you are meant to be! Why try to change it? Accept facts of life and get on with it. I hope you do teshuva for this terrilbe Aveira before you have to face judgement up there after 120. Like I said, I really hope this is all one big joke. I feel very sorry for you if not

ESTI said...

Don't you just LOVE the ignorant bible thumpers??? They're so cute.THE ONLY JOKE HERE IS GLORIA>

Anonymous said...

very nice Gloria, you sound like a good Christian. I'm not sure if you know this but us Jews use love in their rebukes not fear!

Princess said...

I am so jewish, more jewish than any of you apparently. I believe Hashem gave us 613 mitzvos and I believe in keeping every one of them, not picking and choosing what is convenient to me. Not to say I never fall but I try and that is what counts. Why can't you just be proud of who you are instead of being insecure and feeling the need to be something you are not? Men can look cute looking handsome, neat, put together, and confident. Why don't you try that? also, I'm not preaching I just feel so bad for you and wish I can understand where the lack of yiras shmayim stems from. Thats all

Anonymous said...

Gloria,

Please learn the laws of rebuke, it might help you from being oiver the lav of "lo shovoi oluf cheit"

Princess said...

Huh, now you have me even more convinced that this is a whole made up blog because you sound so sensitive. Goodness, can't a person say things the way it is, why are you so defensive and why don't you answer my questions? if you really trully believe that what you are doing is right then you would not get so offended by my comments. Also, how do you want me to rebuke you? should I give you validation for what you are doing should I get all lovey dovey and talk sweetie.

Shoshana said...

"I just feel so bad for you and wish I can understand where the lack of yiras shmayim stems from. Thats all "

Gloria, with all due respect, what are you talking about. If you mean bitul zman on blogs or the internet instead of learning. Are you listening to shiurim while surfing, and commenting, as I am.

Other then that, Im not sure what you could be referring to, there is unfortunately, a plethora of frum blogs, replete with loshon hara, rechilus, nivul peh, disgusting graphic pics.

In many frum blogs, I have seen
there is such mean-spirited conversation. Numerous excellently written blogs that gave the blogger tremendous sipuk were shut down or deleted because of the viciousness of the readers.

Bh, on this blog, we are only discussing our feelings and emotions in as Tzniusdik way as possible. We all try to support each other and provide fiendship in a loving, caring way.

So, Gloria, if you havent seen any of us commit an issur doreissa with your own eyes, you arent mhuyiv to give Tochacha, assuming that you know how to. Look it up in the Rambam or Hichos Tochacha in Yoreh Deah, or just ask your Rov...

Thank you for your input..

Princess said...

So you are saying that crossdressing and going to events dressed as a woman when you are in fact a man, is not an issur? You write and joke about it so you can't deny that some of you GUYS do that...but its okay just keep doing what you have to. Good luck and I hope you are just having fun with your imaginations!

ESTI said...

Gloria.You seem to be a very smart woman,albiet not to bright. Why are you busy prattling on and on about something that is probably less of an issur then women wearing man-tailored shirts, or flats that look like men's shoes.Why don't you devote your time to issues such as child molestation in yeshivos, unethical Rabbonim, treif being sold as kosher usless hasgochos, money being misused by tzedakah organizations etc. Instead of worrying about those of us who enjoy wearing women's clothes for whatever reason, your time would be much better spent helping a chesed organization bikur cholim,tomchei shabbos, hatzolah, etc.

Sara with NO H said...

Yikes. Gloria you're on the wrong blog. This blog is a place for them to feel comfortable and accepted by each other and their peers.

Who the hell do you think you are coming here and feeling sorry for anyone? Feel sorry for yourself, because there are different types of people in EVERY walk of life, religion, race, shape and form. These 'ladies' aren't hurting anyone, so is there a reason you fel the need to lash out. Loosen your girdle sweety...

Shoshana said...

Thank you so much for your support. It means a lot to us. I don't really take the Glorias of the world seriously.

Whenever someone starts talking Yiras Shomayim, a spreadsheet pops up in my mind, with Choshen Mispat and Bain Odom Lchavero on one side and frimma shtick on the other. And you can bet than invariably there are a lot of empty cells on the Choshen Mispat side...

Have a really wonderful Shabbos, Sara, dearest...

Still hoping to write you before Shabbos, Esti. IYH if not, I will get to it by Sunday..

chaverah said...

oy, i dont know how to react to this blog, first time here. to each its own.

Unknown said...

lt

Unknown said...

Hi, I recently stumbled upon your website and it was a huge relief to see. Through the internet I of course knew there were others like me but somehow I always wondered if I was the only one who was also a religious jew. It is hard enough living life split between two worlds but even harder dealing with the religious ramifications and the dangers of living in the close-knit, small and not very liberal Jewish world. I applaud your courage for creating such a site. Has it had many visitors? Are there many of us? I'd like to know more unfortunately, this site doesn't seem very active so perhaps there aren't many of us after all.